Friday, January 8, 2010

How do I take care of my lip piercing?

I got a side lip piercing on Friday. My piercer instructed me to clean the outside with orange dial antibacterial soap and the inside with listerine mouth wash three times a day. However, I keep hearing all these other ways that you are suppossed to clean it and to be honest I'm confused as heck. What IS the right way to clean it? Some people say not to use antibacterial dial soap and others say to use sea salt and vice versa. So far I think it is doing alright. It's a little swollen and it really doesn't hurt. But yeah, how should I clean it?How do I take care of my lip piercing?
Listerine isn't as good of an idea to use as a NON alcohol based mouthwash. its fine if you're diluting it, but really non alcohol is better. you SHOULD be rinsing with mouthwash after everything you eat or drink, and if you smoke after every cigarette.





you SHOULD be using sea salt to rinse with as well as rinsing with mouthwash. it helps pull out impurities. this should be done 2-3 times a day





washing with the antibacterial soap is fine. Some people prefer other things, such as antimicrobial soap (personally I use an antimicrobial soap called Provon to clean my piercings)





how about a list of things that you should NOT do?


NO alcohol, peroxide, or triple antibiotic agents. These are too harsh for your piercing. They're antibacterial, but they also kill the cells that your body is trying to make to heal.





NO neosporin or other similar creams. neosporin specifically says on the package not to use it on puncture wounds, and that is what a piercing is. creams of any kind will also cut off oxygen to your piercing and give bacteria a place to hide.





DO NOT mess with your jewelry no matter how tempting it is...whether its playing with it with your tongue or touching it with your hands...you're going to put stress on the piercing and slow down healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment